Pages

Labels

Friday, July 27, 2012

Sausage Hoagies w/ peppers & onions

Sunday night we ate Bratwurst and Italian Sausage Hoagies with peppers and onions. I made enough of these that we had dinner for our family of five, 3 lunches and some for the freezer (2 more lunches for Mom, 2 more for Dad). 

 Let me tell ya, these were yummy. Due to a burn ban in effect, we couldn't grill them like we usually do, so I boiled them for about 15 minutes in a small amount of water in a deep frying pan. Beer would have been better, but water was fine. Then I drained the water, added the sliced peppers and onions, and browned them in the pan with the veggies. Some of them didn't get browned quite to my liking this way, so I placed them on a pan under the broiler for about 5 more minutes. DELICIOUS!



  • Hoagie rolls: 3 pkg. @ $0.49 from the bakery outlet store = $1.47
  • Sausages:  3 pkg. (5 sausages each) @ $2.49 from Aldi = $7.47
  • Peppers:   3 pk @ $1.69 (Aldi)
  • Purple Onions: about a lb. for this recipe from a 2 lb pkg @ $1.49 (Aldi)

Total for family dinner + 7 individual lunches = $11.38


0 comments:

Post a Comment